Deciding on a name for a baby is something most parents put a lot of thought into, from the way it sounds to the way it’s spelled, to what the kid’s initials will be. Moms and dads don’t want it to be too hard to spell or to pronounce, but it turns out, that may be trickier than they think. A new study reveals that a four-letter boy’s name is “the most mispronounced name in the world.”
According to WordFinderX, that name is Sean [[Shawn]]. They used a list of close to 13-thousand names from baby name site Nameberry to see how many times each name was listened to on Forvo.com, an online pronunciation library. And it turns out the name Sean has one million listens, more than any other name.
The study also finds:
- The second most mispronounced name in the world is the Basque name Xuxa [[SHOO-shuh]], with 802-thousand listens.
- Anne is the most mispronounced English name, with 343-thousand listens. WordFinderX reports that the “e” on the end is tricky for some folks, since it’s not always silent in other languages.
- James is second, with 249-thousand, followed by Lauren with 142-thousand.
- Emory is the most mispronounced name of U.S. origin, with 75-hundred listens.
- Francisco is the most mispronounced Spanish name, with 635-thousand listens.
- Shakira is the most searched Arabic name pronunciation, with 144-thousand listens.